What is Growing Futures?
Growing Futures was supported by £3 million from the Department for Education’s Innovation Fund from summer 2015 to early 2017 to pilot and develop new ways of working in response to domestic abuse. The project was formally evaluated at the end of the funding period and a further longitudinal evaluation was concluded in late 2019. Learning from Growing Futures continues to be embedded into practice and the Domestic Abuse Navigator Service is a lasting legacy of this important work.
Led by Doncaster Children’s Services Trust Growing Futures brought experts together from health services, the police, Doncaster Council, the voluntary sector, schools and children’s centres to develop a ground breaking new approach.
Our Domestic Abuse Navigator Service
As an integral part of Growing Futures the DAN service have become a key part of Doncaster Children’s Services Trust working with families impacted by domestic abuse, helping them to recover safely from their experiences either separately or together with support for everyone in the family; the victim, the person causing the harm and the children. DAN’s:
- Have a trauma informed therapeutic led response to recovery work for children
- Support victims to understand and recover from their experiences of abuse
- Support and challenge people that use abusive behaviours to change their behaviour and address the impact it has on others in their lives
- Challenge the acceptance that domestic abuse is normal within the home – its not.
If you are working with Doncaster families needing support with domestic abuse, call our Early Help team on 01302 734110
Our Domestic Abuse Navigators:
- Offer new and tailored therapies to help children recover from the emotional trauma and avoid repeating patterns of abuse in the future.
- Help parents to rebuild their lives, grow in confidence and avoid abusive relationships.
- Working with perpetrators to challenge their behaviour and address the long-term impact it has on their lives.
- Challenging the acceptance that domestic abuse at home is normal – it’s not.
How the Domestic Abuse Navigators work families - Emily's story