What is Pause?
Pause Doncaster works with women who have experienced or are at risk of repeated pregnancies that result in children being removed from their care. Pause is a service that aims to support women who no longer have their children in their care; we do not support women to get their children back and we are not a parenting programme. We want to enable women to take a ‘pause’ from pregnancy and further court proceedings, allowing them to focus on themselves and to make positive choices and changes in their life. If you’ve experienced this, we may be able to help you.
We know that a programme like Pause is most effective when a woman has no children in her care and she is in a position, sometimes for the first time, to focus on herself and her own needs.
To ensure that a woman is able to take a break from pregnancy, we ask them to use the most effective form of long acting reversible contraception. We work closely with sexual health experts to ensure that women make an informed choice around contraception and that they are able to choose the most appropriate form for them.
Helping women to pause and take control
Pause understands that every woman is different. We want to get to know you and help you understand and work towards the goals that matter to you. We want to give you the opportunity to pause and take control of your life. We see you as a whole person with many different needs, skills and qualities. Support will look differently for each woman.
We will work with you to find new ways to work through past experiences, any challenges you might be currently facing, and help you to develop new ways of coping and building support networks for a more positive future.
We can also work with the people who are important to you including; the fathers of your children, partners, family members and friends - as well as professionals if this will help you achieve your goals.
How Pause can help you?
You will be supported by a Pause Practitioner who will spend time getting to know you and building up a trusting relationship with you for up to 18 months. We understand that every woman is different; therefore we ensure our programme is designed to meet your needs. Our work with you can take place at home or in the community; or where you feel most comfortable.
It isn’t always going to be easy. There will be challenges along the way, but we will be there to help you to focus on your goals and work towards a more positive future. Pause is all about you, so you can take control and focus on the things that are important to you!
Pause is an 18-month programme where Practitioners could help you to work with some of the following:
- Help you cope with grief and loss
- Help you build resilience and self-esteem
- Think about education/career plans
- Support building relationships with other professionals
- Help you to work with challenging systems and situations
- Explore the most effective form of long acting reversible contraception, guaranteeing a pause in pregnancy and the space to focus on you and the changes you want to make
- Build better relationships with partners and others in your life
- Connect you with others in your situation so you don’t feel alone
- Access services to cope with issues like drug use and domestic abuse, if and when you are ready
- Supports you into stable accommodation
- Develops your aspirations for the future
- Supports you to reflect on the past and understand trauma
- Access opportunities you may not have experienced or thought about before
- Have fun times
Is it for me?
Women working with Pause:
- Live in Doncaster
- Have had one child removed and are either a Care Leaver or aged under 19
- OR: Have had two or more children removed
- Are likely to become pregnant again
- Have had a pregnancy or care proceedings within the last 5 years
- Do not have children in their care and are not currently pregnant
How do I get in touch?
If you feel Pause is for you, you can get in touch with the team by using our self-referral form here or if you would like to find out more please contact the team on the details below.