It's important that young people have the opportunity to share their thoughts, ideas and opinions about their care and the issues that matter to them.
At the Trust we have a participation strategy which is all about children and young people having a chance to make their voices heard. You can find out more about the strategy in these short videos. The first gives information for children and young people in care and the second, for children and young people living at home and who have a social worker.
The Junior Care Council, Children in Care Council and the Care Leavers Forum play a vital role in ensuring children and young people with care experiences have say in their care and the issues that matter to them. They bring together passionate and dedicated young people with those who run care services to share their experiences and ideas on how to improve the support and the services they receive. They look at:
- time with their families,
- the support they receive,
- how things can be improved,
- and much more.
You can find out more about them in the below
- Junior Care Council
Why not come and join us, see what we get up to and be the voice of young people in care!
- Suitable for ages 7+ years
- Holidays and half term meetings
- Arts and crafts, cinema, fun and games and much, much more...
- Children in Care Council
Working together to make life better for children and young people.
- Suitable for ages 13+ years
- Monthly meetings to challenge, change and improve services
- Total Respect training - opportunities to be involved in training social workers, foster carers and others
- Interview social workers, managers and other staff
- Meetings with senior managers
- Plan and attend events
- Care Leavers' Forum
Help to raise aspirations and challenge negative stereotypes of care leavers by getting involved in:
- Suitable for ages 16+
- Monthly meetings
- Various sports groups
- Cooking with Andy
- Residential breaks
- Independent living skills
- Interview panels for social workers, managers and other staff
- Peer support/ mentoring
We’d love to hear from you!
You can download our guide for children and young people about getting involved in one of our care councils.